Monday, April 19, 2010

WAG #18: Invisible Object

The writing group is back so here is my take on the first new topic...

Where I often work looks out onto the back garden. I tend to take it for granted yet it is spectacular. The shrubs offer such an array of colours. The blazing red of the azalea the delicate pink of the cherry blossom and the bold yellows of the dandelions fighting for their space all serve as inspiration. I often state out onto the lawn watching a bird or a squirrel foraging, sometimes watching the children playing, undoing all the hard work that has been done in just a few minutes.

I have often sat and imagined fairies darting in and out of the branches of the conifers and pixies darting in and out of the flower bed, magical creatures grazing on the lawn, just out of sight, indeed the garden could easily be my magical setting for fairy stories and yet I don’t even notice it, I change it and twist it so the rainbow that is seldom there becomes a permanent fixture.

Now as I look I can appreciate the space, the ever changing nature of the garden as flowers bloom and droop, leaves grow and fall, children play and adults tidy. A place of inspiration and beauty that is constant in terms of being there but constantly in flux. The garden would be missed if it wasn’t here, the space, the colours and the ability to spend time in the open, fresh air and yet not notice, taken for granted and yet beloved, another part of our family. We tend it, seed it and enjoy it but how much do we see it?

7 comments:

India Drummond said...

I like this... a vivid and compelling piece!

Marsha said...

Beautiful. I can just see the colours bursting!

Anonymous said...

I think some of our most familiar places are under-appreciated. Thanks for sharing your garden.

Mel said...

Thank you for your comments. We want to move soon and the thing I will miss the most is my garden, especially my azalea.

J. M. Strother said...

Sounds like a wonderful garden, just the sort of place to draw inspiration for one's writing. It's kind of sad to know that you will soon be losing it. Hopefully you'll have another beautiful garden at your new home.
~jon

The Dating Doctor said...

Lovely. Really conjures up the colours and smells of the garden in my head.

Girl Fren' said...

Lovely, Melanie. I can almost smell the azalea. Good fortune finding another room with a view.