Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Weed (Writing Adventure Group #8)

WAG #8 Find out more about the Writing Adventure Group here;http://www.nixyvalentine.com/index.php/writers-group/

Weeds

It’s out there now, in the garden creeping through the soil, burrowing down in the dark to choke the life out me expensive herbaceous border. Eager for its next victim its tendrils unfurl towards the sun eager for more of its life giving warmth.
When I next venture out into the garden it has spread, the weed is now covering an area twice as big as it was two days ago. Its green leaves are cloaked in spikes warning would be invaders of its own strength. I start to admire it as its light yellow flowers, so delicate against the leaves, serve to attract bees, essential for its future survival. Even the slightly sweet, earthy aroma helps the beetles and bees find their way to it poisoned but perfumed chalice. Determined that my garden will be beautiful I reach for my gloves but as I bend and gaze at the vast proliferation wondering where to start I can’t help but admire it.

I consider the sheer determination of the weed to succeed, prepared quite literally to climb over and choke its rivals. It reminds me of the driving force behind its actions, the fight for life. Its ability to disguise itself as a flower and persuade the bees to spread its seeds across several acres are akin to the social climber struggling to desperately to tame her sagging bosoms and persuade the other mothers at the gates that she is part of their club, a yummy mummy.

The prickles on the leaves defending it against those insects that seek to injure rather than help, remind me of the first time people meet, keen to get on with those that could help them, be their friend and aid their cause, but with defences in place just in case the stranger might be a hindrance rather than a help. So the weed creeping through the garden, insinuating itself into the heart of my garden is really an inspiration for the ambition of the human condition, all hail the lowly weed I think as the sun dips behind a cloud, I remove my gloves and grant a stay of execution.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your heroic weed!

A very well written piece. I wonder.. how long did the weed survive? Did you let it live? Or is it now in the great compost heap in the sky (or in the corner of the garden)?

Welcome to the group!

Marsha said...

Wow! I'm rooting for this weed (sorry for the bad pun!). Great job, and welcome!

Unknown said...

Welcome to WAG. Great starting piece. :-)

Iain Martin said...

You rank right up there with Aesop, Melanie, with your identification of the "weed's" will to power. BTW, the designation "weed" is man-made.

Gunnar Helliesen said...

An unfamiliar view of a familiar situation. Love the tie to human behavior. Nicely done!